Saturday, January 16, 2010

Loss of a Friend

Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there, I do not sleep, I am a thousand winds that blow, I am the diamond glints on snow, I am the sun on ripened grain, I am the gentle autumn rain, when you awake in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight, I am the soft stars that shine at night, do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there, I did not die.








I am saddened to tell you that my friend that I have been asking you to pray for for the past several years has passed on, Mark S. Fuhrken left this earth from the ravages of Pancreatic Cancer at the age of 56, he fought a good fight to the bitter end, fighting this disease for several years.

Thank you for all your Prayers and now we have to keep Mark's Family in our Prayers for comfort and guidence in these sad times.







I met Mark in 1974 and we both quickly became fast friends on and off the job.






The picture above was one of our big "Drug Bust's" Mark, myself and shift supervisor looking over the drugs, money and I am holding one of the weapons we confiscated, Mark and I worked the same shift, had the same days off and worked together a lot either walking a "Beat" or working in a Patrol Car.






Mark worked as a Police Diver, and other jobs on the Police Department and received numerous "Awards" from Life Saving, Canine Participation, fire rescue of people to name a few.









Mark during one of his better days when not fighting the disease, After retiring from the Police Department Mark worked for several Television Stations as a Cameraman and Technician.











This is Mark and his "Sunshine", his wife Marie took fantastic and loving care of Mark before, during and even after the toll of this awful disease.








A "Smile" a "Laugh" and a good memory!!!









In between the bouts of cancer Mark's attitude was good and he always managed a smile.










Above is Mark in an earlier visit back to New York, Mark loved to visit during the winter to enjoy the snow.











Making some memories when fishing.












Mark and Marie and their oldest son Lee on the river.














Me and Mark trying to solve the worlds problems and talking about the future. Mark knew that things were not good but this never stopped his smile or caring attitude for his wife an family and friends.
.
We made a fast plane trip to Texas, to be with Mark and Marie during Marks last hours here on earth, His wife kept telling Mark of our progress, we landed, she told him we were en route, she told him we were on the elevator on our way to his room and to hang on, BUT Mark passed away quietly alone in the room with his loving wife just before we entered the room, I think God wanted Mark and Marie to have their last loving, living moments together. Anna Mae and Marie left the room and I offered prayed for Mark while I held his hand. Whenever Mark and I ended a phone call we ended it with, "I love you, Man"! and that is how I left it, I kissed him on the forehead and said, "I love you, Man"!!!
.
.
Some time ago and again recently Mark had asked me to do his funeral and we discussed it at length, It was tough going for me but in Honor of my friendship with Mark, I did it, I made it thru his Eulogy, prayers and Marks son Lee read the 23rd Psalm. It was rough going and hard to see thru the tears but I made it a Celebration of Marks Life.
.
.
I read Paul's letter to Timothy, 2nd Timothy, 4: vs 6 - 8 which Mark liked. There were many people at Marks wake and also a lot of Marks Police Friends.
.
.
.
Mark leaves behind many friends and a lot of family.
.
No man was ever prouder of his family than Mark.
.
This family picture is of Marks oldest Son Lee, His Wife Marie, Mark and daughter Venus and Lee.








Marks son Matt is currently in the Army and stationed in Germany.
.
Let us remember our Veterans, those serving and those who have served us so well..

No comments: