Saturday, October 4, 2014

Horses and farm work.

Well, the weather has changed, it has rained all night and all day, it is only 48 but we still wore shorts and t shirts but had to put on a jacket.
.
Nice day as I am sitting here watching Old Miss and Alabama Crimson Tide play, I like "Roll-Tide-Roll" !!    I don't watch much TV as I was on the farm and sports were not in the picture in school.
.



.This picture is my Great Grandfaher Johns House in Shawville, with my Grandfather Silas and family.
.

. This picture above is my Grandfather Silas, my grandfather Bower and Great Uncle Milo,  Silas and Bower were single in this picture, both were from Edwards, years later they would both have children and become Father in Laws and Silas's son John married Bowers Daughter Ethel who were my parents.
 

.

The above is my Great Grandfather John and my Grandfather Silas and Family at their summer cottage on Chubb Lake,  Grandpa said they went there to collect the Hay that grew so thick and fast.
.

.Above is my Grandfather Silas sitting on the block of ice, my uncle Lynn Jones witting on the wagon and My Dad driving the Horse up from Jones Pond to the Ice House about a 1/2 mile away on the farm.
.
.
This picture is of the dappled mares with my cousin Wayne and Sy riding them. Grampa Silas would let us plod along with them as long as we didn't run them.
.

. The above picture is my mothers father, Grandfather Bower Whitford and his hired Hand Benny Brayton with his team, they were named Bess and Bee, the big black is the one that kicked my Uncle Ottie in the head back in the 40's,  almost killed him, back then they put a steel plate in his forehead, he was lucky, drove school bus all his life.
.

. I learned as a young lad to halter, harness and hitch horses to, wagons, mowing machines, rakes, plows, spike harrows, disc harrows, cultivators, corn planters and Manure Spreaders,  I could not plow worth a hill of beans, my rows were always crooked!!!!


.
I also learned how to Groom, clean the horses frogs, teeth and help Grandpa shoe the horses AND clean out the Horse Barns!!!
.

.

.

.

2 comments:

jack69 said...

I like this entry. Love the old pictures, brings back memories, but only from visits to my Great Grandpa's farm in North Georgia. You know the city boy goes to the farm and it all looks like loads of fun.

Later I did help around a little farm in my 11-12 years, found out there was a LOT of work.
Good one my friend and hope you are well.

salemslot9 said...

I like the name Silas
I watched
"My Uncle Silas"
on PBS
because, I like
Albert Finney
we named one of
our kitties Silas