Saturday, October 27, 2018

Time Flies !

I saw a post on Face Book about if you still have any friends from High School.  Well, Yes and No !!!  Probably my best friend from High School was Michael Jospeh Hart,  His mother was a Pat Teacher and his Father Joe ran the Hoist at the Talcville Mines.  We were close,  We all went down to the recruiters Office right after High School Graduation, 1965,  there was me, Mike Hart, Bob Watson, Ricky Uruburu, Alan Uruburu, Morley Goodale, Dick Taylor, Mike Duffy, Floyd Thornton,   We graduated June 25, and all received our Draft Notices , GREETINGS FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,  blah, blah, blah, Watson, Uruburus, Hart all went Air Force,  Thorton, Goodale, went Army,  Taylor and I went Navy.  Off we went !!!!   Some of us didn't come home, some of us found out years later we brought stuff home we didn't want, Time Marched on,   Mike Hart and I stayed friends for years and years.
.
.
This was us 20 years after graduating High School in 1985 in Appling Georgia, Mike was working for the Telephone Company, I was a Policeman in New York State, we probably talked to each other weekly for years on the phone.
.
.
.
Growing up I went to a country School, came from a family of 8 kids and mom and dad, we did not have inside plumbing, we had an "Outhouse, or Backhouse",  I had never seen a flush toilet till I went to the Central School in the 5 th Grade.  Mike showed me how to "Flush a Toilet" !   Mike is in an Urn in a closet in his house in Appling Georgia, his Widow is keeping him there.  She is nasty !!!!!!!!!   Said he will be buried with her when she passes!   
.
.
I am number 14, my sister is number 9 and many cousins in this picture, this is Pond Settlement School which I walked to till the 5th Grade when they shut it down and sent us all to the Central School,  Grades 1 thru 8 went here !  My Job was to go out and Pump Water and carry it n and fill the big water pail,  In winter all boys stacked wood we carried in for the old wood stove in the center of the School room !
.



.
Last Picture of Mike, I was recovering from Heart Surgery and in Rough Shape, He drove up from Georgia to New York State to see me while I was recovering in the Hospital as I was not doig good, he spent a week with me !
.
Several years ago, (4)  I got a phone Call from Mike, He said, "Ya better sit down Woody"  he said I got Cancer!  His voice was raspy, he coughed, I said you want me to come to Georgia, I was ready to leave right then but he said, "NO" !  .
Mike had Cancer of the Throat,  He passed away !  
.
The Only life long friend I have besides my Ex-Wife is my Friend Marlene.   She lives in Ocala Florida, She was married 3 times,  all 3 husbands passed way!   
.
.
.
Marlene grew up in a house that was a Old School Bus made into a home,   This was our 50th High School Reunion !
.
Wife says Bed Time,  I had Oral Surgery on Thursday and had to have a rear Molar that was a root canal dug out as it had split.    Lots of Bleeding !!!!!  Swollen cheek and teeth sore, all soft food for couple more days.
.
Don't forget, remember our Vets !
.   
.



.


.

.

.

1 comment:

jack69 said...

Hope you are better soon. At least you o have pretty nurse. Love the old pictures and history, very interesting.