Saturday, January 25, 2020

Our Home

Our house was unique, My Dad built our house, he started building it around 1925, He had help from his Relatives, he cut the logs, shaped them and laid them up then chinked they ! This was done during the "Great Depression, My father worked for Northern New York Utilities, they operated small Hydro Electric Power Plants generating Electricity,  My dad while building the house lived with his Grandmother, Addie, His Grand Father John who he was named after passed away at age 44.
.
.
This above is my Grandpa Silas and Great Grandpa John, My Dad, Mother, Brother John and Jim lived with Dads Grandmother Harriet Adeline who was called Addie,  My Mother had not a good word to say about her, and when she did speak of her it was bitter.
.
.
My Dad John and my Brother John about 1930 at the John Wood Farm in Shawville where Dad and Mom Stayed till Dad Finished building the Log Cabin.
.
.
The Farm of my Great Grandfather John and Great Grandmother Harriet, (Addie) !  My Grandpa is there, Silas, the farm was in Shawville. My folks lived here for a couple years with Addie. 
.
My Great Grandmother Harriet, (Addie), Brother John, Father John and Grandfather Silas, 4 Generations photo !
.
.
My Brother Joh, My Brother Jim and my Sister Janice in the high chair, This would be about 1936, My Dad and Mom moved into the Log Cabin even though it was not done as Mom was adamant they moved in !  You can see the stone wall my Dad and helpers laid, the hand poured cellar walls !
.
.
My Mom, John, Jim Janice in the front of the house, you can see the logs, steps and the chinking between the logs.
.
.
Same place but another Picture, showing Dad's Ford !
.
.
My brother Jim, Harold Jones who was a Carpenter  and who helped Dad build his House and my Mother sitting behind the wheel of this I think 1930's Ford.
.
.
The end of the House showing the Cellar walls, Laid Up logs and chink and the Cedar Shingles that covered the ends and front porch of the house !
.
.
The folks did a good job of raising 8 of us in the Old Log Cabin, there were only 3 Bedrooms in it, Mom and Dads, 1 for the girls and the upstairs loft for the Boys.  Sadly I miss John, Donnie and Janice who have passed on !
.
Don't for get our Vets !

1 comment:

jack69 said...

Oh man I love the old photos. Of course the ones with the old cars. LOL BUT those folks during the depression worked. I was not there, but I was there and did see the sailors and soldiers after WWII cutting trees and building homes. My brothers and uncles were among them.
I did enjoy the mono-log and pictures. LOVE IT!
We are warmer, hope you are.
Sherry & jack