Thursday, November 14, 2013

My Youth


Well, winter has come and gone, we had about 3 inches of snow, cold, about 22 and it has warmed up and will be in upper 60's by Sunday.
.
I am a bachelor until Sunday, the Wife has gone on a 4 day retreat with a group of women who will spent these 4 days in Prayer, coming closer to God and enrichment of the soul thru Christ!!  I have been looking at old photos this afternoon and will share a few of my youth.



.

.
Above I am looking tough, with 3 older brothers and 2 sisters I kind of got hand me downs, Dad said I loved the dirt and being in the garden.
.

.
My mothers brother, Uncle Theron came up to the house with this beauty of a deer , it was taken down cellar and cut up and part was given to our family and some other families in the area.
.

.
I am standing in front with my hand in my mouth, we were fixing the fence around the garden, missing from the photo is my sister jance and brother John and my twin brothers who were not born yet.
.

.
I am being a private eye with my spy glass, my sister Bev and Dad holding my twin brothers Ronald and Roland, now there is 8 of us!
.

.
The Old "Pond Settlement School", grades K thru 8,  I remember carrying water inside, using the "out-house" 3 holer, the teacher would cook our lunch on the wood stove during the winter usually making us beans and hot dogs, in the warmer weather we carried a metal lunch pail.
.


.
 The love of my life, this was Jude and Joan, Gramp Wood had teams of horses he rented out to farmers, I would also go with a team of horses as would my 3 older brothers if needed, I was about 11 or 12 and could harness, bridle and use plows, harrows, disc harrows, mowers, rakes and till gardens, I was also good in the woods skidding logs and hauling logs out on logging roads.
.


.
I was in high school and worked several summers on a faram and as payment I was given this Fender Guitar and an amplifier, I played in a band while in school with a couple of friends, I wi$h I had it back now a$ it would be worth a few buck$ !!!!!
.

.
Winters were long, the Edwards Lions Club and Fire Department made us this huge Ice Rink which we used from December until Spring thaw.  I was a good skater on both ice shates and also Roller Skates.
.

 
.
16 Girls and 6 boys graduated, we lost 1 in classmate in a car accident while he was in Basic Training in the army, every guy in our class went into the service because of Vietnam!!

 

Don't forget our Veterans!!!!!
.

2 comments:

jack69 said...

Oh boy Woody, this is one of the best. Loved the condensed story of your life. There is something about old pictures, the scanned ones with the damage from handling folding and using, that just makes you feel good.
Oh and that '51 Ford with the BIG buck.
Hey and used to have hair!!!!
Nice guitar.... I must say you were a good picker, you got Anna mae!

Helen said...

Great pictures of your growing up years. Interesting life.