Saturday, October 11, 2014

Train, Fall Trip

No school friday so we picked up the Grandson and headed for the mountains.  We drove up to Old Forge which is a Tourist Trap in the summer but now is quiet, mostly locals and they have an exceptional Fall Excursion Train ride, You can ride from Utica New York to Old Forge, about 50 miles. a 2 1/2 hour trip.
. As Johnny Cash said," I got a thing about Trains".
.

.Engineer is checking the brakes, they walk all around the train twice before leaving, they are heavy on being safe.
.

. "ALL ABOARD", the Conductor yelled and we loaded onto the Train, there were about 24 people on this Train from Old Forge to Otter Creek,  beautiful ride.

.

.Once aboard the Conductor, Mr. Heywood who is retired from New York Central Railroad  goes thru the cars and also back to the viewing baggage car and collects our tickets, $15.00 which to me was well worth the price, here he is with our Grandson, looking out the car the green is another train passing on the rails next to us.
.

.We got a chance to sit so went up to the 1st class car and warmed up.
 .


.
We saw creeks, ponds, the river and swamps, lots of beautiful things to see even going as fast as we were.
.

This is another of the cars we walked thru while traveling to Otter Creek, this is an old, old car from the 30's but in cool shape for its age.
.


.
Train coming up behind us from Utica New York, they get to Old Forge and spend 4 hours shopping and wandering around then take the Train back hme to Utica.  this train had 2 engines and 8 passanger cars and was full.
.


.Looking over My Honeys shoulder outside is the Moose River, we saw deer, geese, herons, turkeys and some beautiful scenery on the ride.
.


. We are back at Thendara or Old Forge, back in the 1800's it was called "Fulton Chain".  Great place to visit
.
Almost 2 more days till the Navy Birthday" !


.

2 comments:

jack69 said...

Thanks for taking us along. Loved the trip and what a great memory for the kid. Glad to see you guys getting around, and up and down.
Love train rides, sure takes one back.
From the banks of the Peace.

Sherry & jack

salemslot9 said...

I've Got A Thing About Trains
Johnny Cash video

http://youtu.be/dj33mYjjRPY

Train train train
I've got a thing about trains
I get a sad kind of feeling
when I see a passenger train
In this fast movin' world that we live in
nobody rides 'em much these days
Maybe I'm a little sentimental cause I know that things have to change
But I'd still like to go for a train ride cause
I've got a thing about trains

Train train train
you're fading from the scene
But you've had your days of glory train train train

Train they say you're too slow for travelin'
but I'm gonna miss you some day
When my little boy says daddy what was it like to ride a train
I'll just say it was a good way to travel when things didn't move quite so fast
And I'm sorry son that you can't ride one
the trains are the thing of the past

Train train train
you're fading from the scene
And I'm gonna mourn your passing train train train
I've got a thing about trains