Saturday, January 4, 2020

Quiet Time

Today was a quiet day, Cat crawled up beside me as I copied pictures by taking pictures of them, I don't scan photos anymore !
.
Sitting here thinking about the Farm and Growing up there !  Our House was a Log Cabin, it was built on 1 1/2 acres of land which my father bought from his father !  The neighbors helped him split, shave and corner the logs, hand pour the concrete floor and 6 foot cellar walls.  3 shovels of course gravel, 1 shovel of sand and 1 shovel of Portland cement all in a small electric cement mixer !
.
.
I hated this thing and I used it as a boy, again as a young man and now I just call the local Cement Company and order it delivered by truck!
.

.
My Dad, brother Jim holding hammer, Donnie holding pail of old used nails, me in front of Dad and sister Beverly in front of Mother !  We were fixing fence !
.
.
Dad and I, sitting looking at pictures outside, sure miss him !
.
.
My Mom and I in the Kitchen, My Mother holding a Cigarette she carried around with her, she quit smoking years ago but needed to have one in her hand or near by !
.
.
This was our house, built by my Father and the neighbors, great memories !!
.
Don't forget, Remember our Vets !

3 comments:

Susie said...

I really liked the big house you grew up in. Your dad must have been a good carpenter. That's what my dad did for a living...but he never built us a house. LOL. You sure are taller than your mom. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

NanaDiana said...

Those are great old photos, Woody. I grew up on a dairy farm in PA and have many similar memories. Our house was an old school house that my father had moved there. I have wonderful memories of my childhood. Happy Sunday- Diana

jack69 said...

WOW , I love the history. I was also the baby of the family. LOL Love the family pictures, especially that of you and your mom. Amazing what family and friends can do. I was fortunate to watch my brothers and friends build after they returned from the war. You dad did an awesome job.
Yeah I can remember some formulas for mixing concrete and mortar. I used one like you picture for concrete. I never poured more than 2 or 3 loads at a time though. I can imagine hating it for an entire project. OUCH.
Amazing how our mind returns...... Thinking is fun at times.
Love to you and Anna Mae.
Sherry & jack sending love from inside the MH here, cold outside 55, yeah I know you are smiling. ;-)