Thursday, February 18, 2021

Winter an Roofs

 WoW,  If you get a chance stop in at Jacks Page , "SHIPSLOG" and see what a Nasty Animal a Pit Bull can be when they become Tempermental and Bite, so Glad it was not worse than it was.  

Shipslog (shipslog-jack.blogspot.com)


.

In the winter living up here in the North you have to watch your Roof, 1 for Snow Load,  2 for Ice Build up and 3 for Leaks !    We got more Snow this winter than we did last winter and this being the second Winter in our Old House we noticed there was a large build up of Snow and Ice on the edge of the roof !

.

.
There is a good 6 to 8 inches on Ice along the edge of the roof built up from melting Snow, This is not good, 
.
.
This is what I hired my Handyman to do, and it worked about a week, with the 10 to 15 below zero temps at night the melting roof water built back up !
.
.
There is a "Rain Gutter" and down spout on the back of the house to catch and divert rain water,  I think this is part of the Problem as the melting water freezes up in the Gutter, back up and stays on the roof !
.
.
We bought some of these Tablets, We threw some up behind the Ice Buildup and then called our Handyman to come and remove as much Ice as Possible.  The Tablets melted some of the Ice.
.
.
I know I am not supposed to be on a ladder but had to do it "My Way" !
.
.
The yellow dots are where I threw Pellets, and around the Vent Pipe and over the overhang !
.
.
My Honey was right there while I was up on the Ladder watching me and holding my leg to keep me steady !  The Roof has been "Shoveled Twice" in the last 2 weeks and we have another "Lake Effect Snow Storm" coming in bring in more Snow !  We will wait to see what happens.
.
.
Ice knocked down, this is what they make small sledge hammers for besides breaking rocks !
.
Well Time to go Practice some songs down in the Basement !
.
.
.
..
I will also be enjoying this Chair and Fire Place also tonight !
.
.

2 comments:

jack69 said...

Okay I know the thought of doing it MY WAY! But take it easy. I cannot imagine sitting in the house and not doing anything. That is tough just to think of it with out seeing it. YOU take care of your self and don't worry that pretty lady. The house can be fixed. Yeah, I know advice is easy to give. LOL
The best to you my friend, but........... but BE careful!

Love from down here.
Sherry & jack with only cold rain to worry about.

NanaDiana said...

I was telling one of my southern friends the other day (that just got a ton of snow) about how it could have a terrible effect on their flat roof. They went out to check and decided she needed to scrape some of the snow off their old garage. I will go check out Jack's blog next. Have a great weekend, Woody.