Sunday, March 12, 2023

Old Hobby !

.When I was years younger I was a Rock Hound, I acquired this as I had worked in 2 large Mines after high School,, St. Josephs Lead Company in my Home Town, *(Noe Closed) and for Gouverneur Talc, *(Reopened).  

I had a used cylinder Rock tumbler, at Work if I found a rock or stone that looked interesting I put it in my lunch pail !    My Mining days were short as I did not like the total darkness or quiet or walking down a shaft and having slabs of rock fall off the overheads behind me !  

My Sister in Law in Oregon cleaning out her Husbands things after he passed away found a LORTONE Rock Tumbler, asked me if I wanted it and she sent it to me !

.

.
This is Downloaded picture of the Tumbler but it is in a lot rougher shape than this picture!
.
.
This is the Tumbler I am running that is Old !  I just ordered a New One Last Night as this old one is wearing out like me !
..
.
 This is the Black Barrel that slowly spins the rocks around with Metal Grit to smooth them out,   This tumbler is hard rubber, it was ran for 7 days, 24 hour's a day to grind down thew rocks !
.
My Work area in the Basement !

.

Cleaning and Picking on my Rocks ! 

.

.
Loading up my Tumbler !
..

.
Some of the The Rocks I have tumbled so far !  These are not finished ! This is the Rough Grinding or the stones !
.
.
Picture downloaded of my Rocks in the Back and where I will try and grind them down !
.
.
This is where I have just purchased a new Rock Tumbler and some Grinding Grit, this place is out in North Dakota, Nice fella runs it, I have ordered from him earlier for some supplies !
.
Our Buddy Jack over at "SHIPSLOG" is back up an OK !
.
.


3 comments:

salemslot9 said...

I showed my John your post.
He’s going to keep an eye out
for a rock tumbler
at garage sales.

jack69 said...

I missed this one. I do love to see those stones that have been run thru the tumbler. Never tried it but always wanted to try it. Love the pictures and post, very interesting..
Amazing the color you have found... So you are not just Deputy Dog but a Rock Hound also. LOL
Lovefrom down here, still over run with STUFF. Presently the Splendide washer... ;-)
Hugs to the pretty lady and the Best to you!
Sherry & jack

jack69 said...

PS WE will follow Salemslot and look for one of 'em.