Friday, April 24, 2020

Mother Natures Onions

LEEKS, My Honey and I went to Oswegatchie to see my Brother Jim, 2nd oldest in the Family and we went back into the side hill behind his house and "Dug Up" some more LEEKS !!
.
.
This is the Tangled Mess we went thru to get to the Leeks !
.
We got them dug and it was tough digging due to the rocks, blackberry bushs and side hill !
.
.
My Brother Jim is 87 years Old, lives alone in the Country in a Nice Mobile Home.  He had already dug me some Leeks but I wanted some more so we went and Dug them, On the Bench is my "Shovel",  The "Entrenchment Tool" works great as it can be a shovel or also a Hoe and we got em dug !
.
.
On the way out of the Woods we found this nice clump of Daffodils, probably from there from "Bird Droppings" of the seeds  !     Or dug up and ate by a Bear and dropped in his "Scat" !   My Brother has a Bear around his place as he hears it snarl and growl at night !
.
.
When we left my Brother Jim gave Anna Mae a wooden Church that My Oldest Brother John *(RIP) made him but needs repair so I get to repair it !!!
,
.
Home with the Leeks and unloaded the SUV and now it's time to clean them !
.
.
LEEKS, Have not had them in a few years and they are just a little small, My Honey will be making a Potato, Leek, Bacon Soup  soon and will also Pickle some in a nice Brine like she does Deer Hearts !
.
.
Ready to cut and clean Leeks and get them ready !
.
.
Almost all cleaned,  That wire coming out of my shirt goes to my Heart Monitor that I had put on yesterday at the Cardioligist Office to wear for 24 hours !
.

.
Now, Chop up the leeks, like an Green Onion, Brown in old skillet with Butter and salt, add pinch of salt, then 4 nice pieces of Salt Pork or Bacon,  Boil Potatoes, drain cut up and add to frying pan of leeks and then let simmer for hour,  Smells Delicious,  remove, take out Salt Pork and bay leaves leave out or chop up Bacon,  Add to soup pot, add potatoes and either use Heavy Crème or Light Crème and cook for an hour or 2,   Make Johnny Cake or Corn Bread and there is your delicious wild leek soup !
.

.
All that is left is:     "Sweepers, Sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both fore and aft  ! Sweep down all decks, ladders and passageways! Dump all garbage clear of the fantail  !
.
Don't forget our Veterans !!!!

2 comments:

jack69 said...

I hear people in the NC mountains talk about Leeks, but I am sure I haven't eaten them. I did eat wild onions to keep mama from smelling my rabbit tobacco I smoked in my corn cob pipe though.
You do make it sound good thought. Love the little church, thinking of that thanks for the masks they came in the mail. SWEET, we like them.
Love the pictures, and yep I heard that "Call to Sweepers, many times.."
Life is good and I do miss the smell of salt air at times.
I smiled at the 'entrenching tool', we carry one in the basement of the motor home, it is a great utility.
Take care and be safe (And thanks again!)
Sherry & jack

NanaDiana said...

I used to make potato/leek soup all the time. Love it and haven't made it in a long time. Store bought leeks are not nearly as flavorful.
At least you won't be bored if you have something to fix while you are staying safe....lol
That was nice to send masks to Jack & Sherry.
Stay Safe- Diana