Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Staying Safe

This is tough, we like to get out, go fishing, have a Picnic,  walk the woods,  well, the weather is not cooperating nor is the Lock Down and Closing of many stores and Business places, tough to find Fish Worms and Minnows.
.
.
The above picture is around 1974, we were sent to a Bar Fight and during the scuffle I ended up having a subject in "Combat Boots" haul off and kick me in the Ankle, POP, SNAP, yup, down I went and did it ever hurt,  I was taken to Mercy Hospital and surgery for a Broken ankle, snapped a few small bones, I know it hurts every winter or when the weather changes !  I was off work 8 weeks in the summer with this !
.
I also broke my left thumb 3 times, another Ankle Injury, lost several teeth, cracked 3 ribs, a black eye and bloody nose, but being outside the Army Base and a Naval Militia Base in the same city with 2 week Reservist training it was a rough City !  
.

.
.
At a Large Fight, Bar Fight, or where there are many people, 1 or 2 officers do not get into the melee, there "Job" is to arrive on scene, unsecure their weapon,  *(12 guage Mossburg Shotgun" and stand back and watch for weapons, after the broken Ankle I did this duty for several months until I could walk again and go back to "Walking a Beat" !
.
.
Myself and Deputy Tom Belden, *(RIP) working the big "Jefferson County Fair"  was Great Duty walking the Midway, after the Fair closed for the Day all the Carny Food Booths brought us Food Galore,   Sausage, Pizza, Clams, Chicken, Shrimp !   We ate like kings, we had a Mobile Home donated for our use during Fair Week !
.
.
I would go home and My Dad and I would sit for hours looking at Pictures, talking about my "Adventures" and enjoying each others company,  sadly my Dad Passed away when I was just 35 Years Old !
.
Stay Inside, Wear Your Masks, Wash Your Hands and Stay Healthy !
.
Don't Forget, Remember our Vets !

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Love the memories here, Woody! It is fun-sometimes sad- to look back. We are quarantined, too, and will be glad to have some freedoms restored when we are safe again (soon I hope). Have a wonderful day. Diana

jack69 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jack69 said...

ENJOYED THE READ, I do not envy you that life and job, BUT IT MUST BE DONE, that is for dadgummed sure. When I was a kid, along with admiring the military uniforms I really liked the walking policeman, in Burlington, NC. He had a way of attracting kids. I bet he inspired many a boy to be a LEO.
I am sure tht broken bones always tell tales.. I know people who predict the weather by them.
Love to you and the pretty lady
Sherry & jack