Sunday, February 6, 2022

74 years, 11 months, 6 Days old

I have traveled a few times around the Sun so far with many more trips to go I pray !  Each Year has always been an adventure like everyone else.   I truly have been Blessed many Times !  

.

.
This is where I went to School,  a one room school House,   I walked to school, from my house to school was about a half a mile and I went every day, School house was 1 room, it had a woodshed attached as big as the school room stacked full of wood, parents with children in school cut, split and delivered wood to the school,  there was a small water closet for the drinking water jug and coats and boots. 
.

.
This is my old school house, after it closed my Sister Bought it and converted it to a Home for her Family !  There was no well,  water was carried to school from across the Road and it was older Boys job to carry the water.  The Bathrooms were one big "Out House" with Girls on the right and Boys on the Left.  It was cold in the winter.  Bathroom Breaks in the winter were always done by going with a Buddy, never alone.
.
.
I sit in the back because my last name was Wood, the front rows were last names with A !!!
.
.
We sat at Desks with Ink Wells,  There was no Ink in them as we used only Pencils.
.
.
The center of the school had a wood stove we would gather around in the winter to stay warm, old school houses were not insulated,  Lights were Bulbs hanging down from the ceiling.   On top of the wood stove there would be a Big Cook Pot,  The Teacher would have Bean Soup,  or Macaroni Soup,   Hot Dogs and Beans,   Goulosh,  Spaghetti.  No one went Hungry and they were kids  I went to school with back then that lived in shacks with Dirt Floors !!!!  (Sad) but True.
.
. The 5th Grade I was 1 of the first ones that was sent to the Big School in Town,  I went from Grades 1 thru 8 now to a school of Grades K thru 12,   This is where I saw my first Flush Toilet and a Urinal !!!!!    Thankfully I had a friend who showed me what they were for,  Remember I grew up in the Country !
.
.
I adapted to Riding the School Bus,  the Big School and all the Kids,  School Lunches, Recess, Cafeteria food, and "Detention" ,
.
.
I flunked a couple Grades and realized that if I went to school instead of skipping school I could pass the Grade.  
.
.
My Graduating High School Class of 1966 ! 22 Of us. Before Graduation all 6 Boys had their Draft Notice or had Enlisted into the Service.    Girl in the front Center was an Exchange Student from Guatemala !  
.

.
This was our 10 Year Reunion after Graduation ! 10 of us showed up.
.
.
This above was our 50th High School Reunion ! 10 of us showed up for this Banquet !
.
.
Stepping out into the World. 1966 !
.

.

.

1 comment:

jack69 said...

WOW you are old. LOL NOW when I tell my friends I KNOW someone, still alive, who went to school in a one room school in NEW YORK, they ain't gonna believe me. Now if I said a 1 room school in Georgia, they just might believe it, but NY? Down here we all KNEW all of NY was like NYC! I really didn't know this was not true until we started the RV life and found the REAL NEW YORK! I had even done a week children's church on Long Island and that reinforced my thoughts of NY!
Anyway you were cool, loved the 'roach', you had nice hair back then. That is what we called that old 'hair do' for boys.
Anyway the pictures are amazing and the history lesson is tops. Hug that pretty woman who puts up with an OLD POLICEMAN!
Love from a cool windy Florida,
Sherry & jack.