Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Suprise Ear Surgery

Well, we had to go to the Hospital Friday morning to ENT, get situated and I was then taken to the Operating Room and had another Tube, *(my 5th one) inserted in my left Ear Drum to drain excess fluid off my Ear Drum.  It's called a "Tympanoplasty" !

.PICTURES ARE FROM THE INTERNET !

.

.

The drainage Tube placed in my left Ear Drum so hope it stays in longer than most of them !  

.

Following that surgery I then underwent what they call a Balloon Eustachian Tube "TUBOPLASTY" !  This was done while I was out an unconscious .

.

Eustachian tuboplasty is a nasal or transoral endoscopic  procedure requiring general anesthesia. To date, it has started to  be  used only in adults, A laser or microdebrider is used to strip away hypertrophic mucosa and cartilage on the posterior eustachian tube cushion and into an area called the valve to clear obstruction.

.

.
This is how they go thru the Nose and down the sinus into the Throat and up into the Eustachian Tube where they use a saline filled balloon to open up the tube and drain the infection !
.
.
This is part of what they use they get into the Eustachian Tube thru the nose.  There was a Company Rep in the operating room while they did my procedure which started at noon and I was out at 6PM !
.
.
This is almost the same procedure as a Heart Cath except they blow up a Balloon in the tube and hold for 2 minutes.
.
Well, I came home the night of my Surgeries, went to bed full of Pain killers.  I now use ear drops 2 times a day and see the surgeon this thrusday  for progress report.  I have an issue with my balance and some soreness but right now, "I CAN HEAR"  way more than I did !
.
My Shipmate Jack is home from his adventure !  Check out "Shipslog" at:   Shipslog (shipslog-jack.blogspot.com)
.
.
.

1 comment:

jack69 said...

Ahhh thanks for the prayers. We also thought of you with a few prayers also. It is amazing what the medical profession can do. Glad you can hear!! We have been AWOL for awhile, will try to do better. Take care and stay warm, Cuddle a lot but BE CAREFUL!!!

Love you two,
Sherry & jack smiling but still cold...(and I ain't even up in he cold country!)